Pages

Wednesday, 20 May 2009

Spur of the moment

Wednesday, May13, 2009 22:17 (10:17pm)
I was going about my business. Just chilling on the couch hanging out with my roommates. I got a phone call. The caller ID read "Bishop Schofield". Now we all know that the mind thinks really really fast. Let me take to to what my mind was thinking.

"Why is the bishop calling me? I'm not relief society president anymore. Maybe it is about FHE. I've got that covered and why would he call so late at night about FHE. Didn't the bishop say he goes to bed at 10. What is he still doing up? Well, here it goes."

I answered the phone. The bishop asked how I was doing. (I'm thinking - is this a social call?). He then got to the details. It took me a moment to understand what he was saying but this is the jist. His son and nephew (who just moved into my ward) were going to Vegas for the weekend and he wanted to know if I wanted to go too. He said that I could then go visit Patty (my roommate who moved home for the summer). I was thinking, "oh that is nice... i probably won't go." I thanked him and said I would call his son if I wanted to go.

I debated for about an hour. I went from "I'm not going" to "Why shouldn't I go?" I then got everything squared away and left 10 hours later for Las Vegas.

It was a great weekend! I was able to spend time with Patty and her friends. There was a Young Single Adult Conference going on and there were activities every night. We went to most of them and it was a blast!

Friday, I took Patty to work at the Mirage where she lifeguards. She got me in to the pools for free and I spent a few hours at the pool. It was pretty crowded but it was a great place to people watch. After I started to get burnt I borrowed Patty's Jeep and drove to Nellis AFB and spend a few hours driving around and shopping. I saw the Thunderbirds parked and got all excited for their near appearance at the Hill AFB Air Show.

I was so excited that I knew my way around Las Vegas. Well at least the parts I wanted to get to. I know how to get to Patty's house, the base and downtown. I did it all by myself and DIDN'T GET LOST!

After I picked Patty up we went to the Conference. They were doing a verson of "So You Think You Can Dance" with the various wards in the city. It was fun! I got to spend some time with Patty's friends Kade and T. They are awesome guys! I really enjoyed getting to know them better.

Saturday, Patty and I went to see the Tigers and Dolphins at the Mirage. It wasn't worth $15 but Patty got us each in for $5 so that was good. I love Tigers!!! That night I went to the conference again and went with Kade and T. They provided dinner and then their was a showing of movies that each ward had made. After that they had fireworks. Now - lets discuss these fireworks. So I'm thinking... ok fireworks at a church activity. That is cool. I wonder if they will just shoot off like 5 to 10. OH HOW I WAS WRONG! They were FANTASTIC fireworks. They went off for about 10 minutes and was better than most fireworks shows I've seen at 4th of July events! A very good way to end the night. The activity didn't end with the fireworks. There was dancing but I ended up leaving soon after that started.

While at the conference I ended running into several people I knew that weren't Patty's friends. People that I've known from years ago and people that I've known from BYU.

It was a great weekend!!! I'm so glad I went!

No comments:

Post a Comment