It has been a while since I've been on here. The past few weeks have been crazy!!
I left my old job at Ancestry.com (my contract position was over) and started a new job at ProGenealogists.
My new job is great!! It is located in downtown Salt Lake City at 4th north and 5th east in this old ghetto looking building. Most of the building is full of law offices. But up on the third floor the genealogists have taken over. Part of the building is connected to a smoke shop. But before you get all worried about my safety here know that my floor is completely secure. We swipe out badges to get into our floor.
ProGen is just what it sounds like it is. A company of professional genealogists. There are specialists that do research in various parts of the world. We take on clients and we also have project from Ancestry.com for the PR department and for the TV show Who Do You Think You Are. I'm working on the US/Canada team. I have my own little desk with all my cute decorations all set up. In my office are two other girls.
The people who work here ARE genealogists in all senses of the word. Although we have people of all ages and including both genders we are all genealogists. Get them talking about their family and they will keep going and going. There is no dress code to work so people come in the typical genealogy frump with hair undone. Not to leave out the super outdated 70s outfit. I love it! People talk to themselves as they do research. Oh and our kitchen is filled with JUNK food. My last job had all healthy food in the fridge including yogurt, fruit, cheese and healthy popsicles. Here we have bookcases of soda and candy all over the kitchen counter. It takes restraint to not grab a Dr Pepper everyday.
I really like the atmosphere here. Everyone is really nice and seems really chill. I'm sure that will all change when the end of the pay period comes around in another week or so.
Before I finished my training here I got a project. Not only that but it is a project that I'm IN CHARGE of. I am very honored that they believe in me to that point. But I'm terrified cause I have no idea what to do. I'm working on several projects most of which are Ancestry projects. Man are they hard. Hard because it is current research with people who's grandparents are still alive. And celebs that don't have their private lives plastered all over the Internet. It makes things a bit difficult. I'm also working on a descendancy project for a real person (not celeb). I like that one because I'm actually getting somewhere.
I'm still getting the hang of things here. But so far so good. The commute isn't that bad either. There are several people that live down in Utah Valley so we are carpooling which makes the drive go so much faster (thanks to the carpool lane).
The benefits are also incredible!! ProGenealogists is an arm of Ancestry.com. If any guy out there is looking for a sugar mama she is right here. I have excellent medical, dental etc. I also have a 401k, stock options, super nice tuition assistance and much more. Just saying ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment