Pages

Thursday, 31 January 2013

Personal History: Growing Up - Early Years

Where did you grow up?

I grew up all over the place. As a daughter of a military father we moved all over the world. I was born in Utah. As my dad decided to go back to school we moved to Oregon where he attended Nursing School. We lived with my grandparents, Jess and Betty Fleming, on their couple acre lot in Boring, Oregon. I remember running around grandma's house and playing with her decorations. Especially her glass rabbits (though that memory might be from later years). We lived in their basement. I can't tell if my memories of that place are real memories or if they are just stories I've heard enough times to think they are memories. 

I do remember playing ball with my cousin (Matt or Mike - I can't remember which) on grandma's stairs to the basement. The stairs were divided by a landing halfway down. I would stand at the top and toss a ball down to my cousin and he would hit the ball with his head back up to me. I remember laughing for hours.

It was there that Erin was born. When Erin was born she was sick and needed a light to keep her warm or something. If I ask mom she will remember. I remember that Erin slept in mom and dads closet and that I would have certain chores that I would check off with stickers.

Next we moved to Travis AFB in California for about 6 months. I don't really remember much about this place other than I remember having one of those PVC pipe Beauty and The Beast tents.

After California we moved to Las Vegas, Nevada. I remember a lot more about this place. We lived on a cul-de-sac. I think it was on the north side of Las Vegas (but I really can't remember). I remember when we moved in to our new house we didn't have any furniture yet and we just picnicked on the floor. I loved it! Our backyard was unfinished. Just the desert ground with clay a few inches below. My dad had a hard time putting in the sprinkler system with all that clay. At some point we got a swingset. I think that was from my uncles on the Hampel side (but once again I could be totally wrong). This was the first place I went to school. I went to two different elementary schools. One of them was Lucille Bruner Elementary School. Which is near Craig Road. The first time I rode the school bus was terrifying. The bus stop picked up and dropped off at different places. My mom had told me to only get off at the stop I got on at. I freaked out when the bus driver tried to drop me off at a different place. I cried like crazy. I eventually made it home but man was that a terrible ordeal.

Kelli was born in Las Vegas. I remember when she was born, Grandma Fleming took Erin and I to see Lion King in the movie theater.

After Vegas, we moved to San Antonio, Texas. We lived in two rented homes. The first one we didn't stay in very long. The second was rented out by a family in our ward, the Munoz family. I remember making my walk in closet my barbie house. It was so awesome!! In San Antonio, I made a lot of friends that I still know today. We left Texas when I was about 10.

That about covers the Early Years of where I grew up. Still many more moves ahead! Funny how such a simple question did not have a simple short answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment