Pages

Thursday, 9 July 2009

Drive Home

OK so we already know I'm a little weird so this will come as nothing new. But, I LOVE THE DRIVE FROM PROVO, UTAH TO MERIDIAN, IDAHO. Most people consider it to be a pretty boring drive. This time as I drove up to Meridian I took note of those landmarks that I so love. I want to share that ride with you.

I'm skipping over Salt Lake and Ogden area. When the I-15 splits to I-15 and I-84 is where I'm going to start. Once you get on the 84 you drive less than 5 minutes and there is an old barn on the right side that is full of hay and falling apart. I love how it is situated. For the next several miles there are a bunch of old buildings that I love to see. I love to think about what it was like to live when it was in its prime.

The next trip marker is Snowville. I don't think I have ever seen snow in Snowville. It is a small little town in the middle of nowhere. I don't think I've ever stopped there but yeah.

One of my favorite parts is shortly after Snowville when the grass cover hills turn into a valley of either tall shrubs or short trees. I'm not really sure if they are trees or shrubs. But anway, the point is when I get to these beautiful (ok not so pretty) plants I realize I am almost in the great state of IDAHO!!! YAY! I love that sign.

Along this next stretch the road has been driven over so many times with little repair that there are wheel ruts where my car fits perfectly. Don't need to use your hands (I do use them). It is almost like being in one of those rides where you are in the car and just sit there.

While on this road there is a exit to another road called Juniper Road. Not sure why, but I love this road. I think it is a funny name.

The next point of concern is Sweetzer Summit. It is the highest elevation on this drive home at a whapping 5197 . I'm not sure how you pronounce it but I know to drive through this section very carefully.

The next town that I love is called Idahome. It makes me smile everytime I pass it because it reminds me that I am home in Idaho. Love it.

After Idahome is where the Dairy Farms begin. Cows on each side and everyonce and a while you get a nice whiff. Enough said.

The Snake River switches back and forth over a lot of Idaho and I love it when I get to cross it. That river is so stinkin' big! I wonder everytime what it would be like to float on it... I still wonder.

Midpoint/Gas Stop = Burley. Exit 208 (also the Area Code for Idaho). I like the Maverick because the bathrooms are nice.

As you drive on there is a hill on your right side. This hill is man made and as you get closer and closer you reazlise that on this hill is 2 water slides that the family who lives there has built. This hill is no small hill either. Talk about getting jealous.

The next town is Twin Falls. I sometimes stop for gas here. It is so much fun to drive over the huge bridge and look all the way down. I really like the water falls but it has been a while since I've seen them.
At this point the towns are closer together and there are TONS of farms of all kinds. I love watching the little planes flying over fertilizing the crops. In the city of Jerome there are TONS of cows and a huge Jerome Cheese Factory. I have always wondered if they give tours... I'll have to check on that.

Ok the next part is one of my favorites!! On the left there is a grove of trees. These trees are well known and loved by any BYU student that makes that drive from Boise to Provo. They are all in perfect lines and so much fun to drive by.

Once you get out of the farms and towns there is a lot more of the honestly beautiful plains. A new addition to this drive is the windmills on the southside of the freeway. They stand so majestic and tall. Love them!

Second to last marker of love is the Three Island Crossing over the Snake River. It is a little green valley in the middle of usually brown grasses. Right around here is the Little Valley Elk Farm. Another thing I would like to go visit... I think.

The last big marker is the Great Wall of Idaho. It makes me happy every time I drive over it.

I hope you have enjoyed my trip to Idaho. :D

1 comment:

  1. It's so funny reading your blog and many times thinking, "I know where and exactly what you're talking about!" I always rejoice when I see the trees telling me that the Idaho border is not far. We share many of the same feelings about several things you mentioned. Whenever we pass that huge man-made hill, we have to say the name of the road there: Kasota Road. For some reason it's just a lot of fun to say it really fast.

    Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in the love of the Idaho drive. I'll admit, sometimes I find it more boring than others (probably because we often make the drive in the middle of the night) but when the sun is setting and you can see how it shines on the fields! I love it!
    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete