Pages

Wednesday, 30 June 2010

England: Day 2 - Where is everyone?

Nothing quite like waking up to F15 Fighters flying over head. I woke up to the sound of the jet flying by and felt my bed shake. I thought, I know that we are close to the flight line but I didn’t think we were this close. I was a bit concerned that my bed was shaking like there was a earthquake. I then remembered that I had a sister sleeping on the top bunk of my bed who could have been moving. Turns out it was Erin moving around. Hehe. I love the sound of Fighter planes.

I was amazed at how the sounds and smells of this house we are living in reminds me so much of our home we lived in 10 years ago. We lived here at the same base (in a different house). The memories just flooded back. The constant sound of planes flying over head. The layout of the house. The smell of these townhouses. They are all so familiar. 

We spent the day unpacking and helping mom organize the house. Afterwards, we went for a walk. We found our way to the hospital and decided to visit Dad. We had no idea where in the hospital he worked so we asked for help. They had no idea where he worked either so we were a bit down about that. As we started out who would come walking up but my dad. His office is right next to the front door. We all decided to leave at the same time and head home. Now, mind you that there is my big dad with three pretty girls surrounding him. We walked out the front door right into a group of enlisted men and women preparing to lower the flag. Apparently they are all brand new recruits (because flag duty is their job). Someone yelled “a-ten-hun” and they all stood at attention and my dad saluted back. Oh my heck! So much fun! I’m such a girl.

We came back and worked again for a bit. We went to taco bell for dinner on Mendenhall base and then drove around. We saw where we used to live (on and off base). It was fun.
This is where we live. It is a 4plex and we are on the end. There is tons of construction outside our house right now.

Some little house I saw while we were driving.


As we drove around the base here at Lakenheath I realize more and more that it doesn't feel like anyone lives here. I don't see people out and about. There aren't very many cars driving around. We haven't seen very many of our neighbors doing anything (including coming or going). I hope we find people soon or else I might start finding invisible friends.

Oh! I have decided, pigeons are annoying.

1 comment:

  1. Taco Bell? Don't get to adventurous with your food choices over there ;)

    ReplyDelete