Pages

Saturday, 28 May 2011

Wives and Daughters

I recently finished reading Elizabeth's Gaskell's Wives and Daughters. Loved the movie. Loved the book. While reading, I was intrigued by the daily activities of the 19th century English characters. In the morning the ladies would spend time learning and reading books. In the afternoons they would go on walks if the weather was pleasant, visiting people as they walked. The part that I was interested in the most was the evenings. The men and women would dine together for an early dinner (5pm). After dinner the ladies would withdraw to the drawing room. They would visit, crochet or pick a book for light reading. After a while the men would join them (after their smoke or extra drink). The rest of the evening from 6 til about 10 was spent in this room playing card games, giving musical performances or just chatting. I have often wondered what it would be like to live like these ladies did.

Another thing I loved about the book was the integrity of the heroine, Molly Gibson. She was so honest and loyal. Even to those that were ruining her reputation. I loved the trust that was seen in the book. I also loved just how real the characters were. They were all so detailed and unique.

I think I just might go read the book again. If you are looking for a good book, I highly recommend Wives and Daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment