With summer before me with time to read for FUN, I have thought a lot about the books that I want to read and even the books I have read. One that I have read has really stuck out to me the past few months. I've thought about it a lot and have wanted to read it again. For now, I'll just talk about it :)
How to Win Friends and Influence People
I think it is a book that everyone should read. It just lays out people/social skills that are just so basic and fundamental. Things we often forget to do.
One of the most important things to do is to really listen to people. Listen to what they have to say. Ask them more. And even more. Remember, a person's favorite topic is themselves. You could meet someone new, ask them all about their life and never talk about yourself. You would come away from that conversation with the other person thinking you are a great conversationalist (they actually knowing nothing about you). Love it! Try it! Meet someone (new or an old friend) and just ask about them. You will find that they enjoy it. They will probably return the questions (like a good conversation should go). Listening is so important.
To listen doesn't mean to be thinking of what YOU are going to say next. No, listening is to hear, grasp, understand, and hear again what they are saying and THEN think of a response. This is a concept I don't think many understand. Including myself.
Asking about how others are doing and really caring is also something that is often lost. We often ask just out of habit not really caring. It is an intro that lets us tell others exactly what we want to say. I find it annoying. It makes me care less when people don't care about me.
Anyway - There are so many ideas in the book. It is a must read.
:) LOVE this post. haha...oh angela I love you. :) Hope all is well at home!
ReplyDeleteLOVE that book...THANKS for the reminder of the teaching's of this book. I too, need to practice it's teachings. :)
ReplyDelete