Pages

Tuesday, 15 June 2010

A Proposal

I am currently swimming in my boxes and boxes of genealogy trying to organize it and protect it while I am frolicking in England. I came across this letter from my great grandfather James Bush to his dear friend Inez Whiting. James died 5 years after they were married.

Apparently proposing through mail is a bit of a family tradition. My grandfather proposed to my grandma through a letter as well.

-----------

Pleasant Grove, Utah
Feb 24, 1920

Dear Friend Inez,

I will answer your most welcome letter I received last week. I am pleased to get a letter from you. I arrived home Sunday night alright, I am feeling fine today and I do hope you are well, don't work too hard for those people, for you are not as strong as you were before the flu. Inez you said it was very lonesome down there when all the family was away. I think that those three weeks that I was unable to get over to Springville was the longest three weeks of all my life. I was sick myself. And I was thinking of you day and night hoping that all would be well with you. Inez I am living in hopes that someday you and I may live happy together in my home. And I don't know of any other girl in all the world that I love better. Than I do you. I will have to close so that this will get in the mail. If you will be home let me know by return mail. One week is as long as I can go without seeing you dear Inez. I will close for this time hoping to hear from you soon.

With love from
Jim

2 comments:

  1. That is so sweet! I wish people wrote letters like that now! Instead we have quick texts and facebook updates :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! That's such a cool thing for you to have. Doesn't it make you wonder about all those old notes that you've kept from high school or middle school. I certainly hope none of my posterity get a hold of those! They are certainly not as romantic as that for sure.

    ReplyDelete