Pages

Tuesday, 31 August 2010

England: Week 10 - Audley End House and WWII

My first day of Fall Semester. 

Best first day of school EVER!!!!!!
Nerd moment! You've been warned.
This is the camp before the crowd got there. A few things about the camp. There were several different groups that "camped" together representing different countries that were involved in the war including UK, Poland, and the US as well as the enemy (Germany). The event was specific to the events that surrounded the home and the events of 1940. All of the reenactors were representing the special forces that were trained at Audley End. These guys camped the night in their authentic gear. More on the gear later. ;)

Our first stop was to tour around the house and garden. This was the view from the house. AMAZING!

Here is the house. I don't have any pictures inside the house because of the "no photo rule". But just know that it was incredible. The wood work inside the house was so intricate and detailed. The furniture was fantastic. Beautiful and fancy. It would be an honor to live in such a house. 

This is part of the kitchen for the home. Oh yes!! I would love to have a kitchen this size.

Here is the other part of the room.

The pantry. 



The dessert room. :)

We saw this and just had to take a picture for mom. See we do take care of the laundry.

I'm sure glad laundry has advanced.

This is where the fun started. We went and walked around the WWII stuff and our first stop was actually the American camp. Everything had US written on it and CocaCola was written everywhere. I learned that the Allies didn't have things like gum and raisins in their mess kits until the Americans joined the war. 

All of the mention of the Americans was very positive and filled with gratitude that the Americans helped out. It was nice to hear it.




The American camp. Kinda funny to hear the "Americans" talk with their British accents. Hehe. I kept forgetting that they were supposed to be telling me about the Americans and not the brits. 


We then made our way over to the enemy's camp...
The Germans were lined up for inspection.

Their tents. 

Military leader checking his german troops. They were actually speaking in German!

They also had a falconry show going on. Explaining how falconry helped in the war. All of these birds were real. Except the pigeon...

Who would want to save a pigeon is beyond me... 


I snuck in to one of the tents of the Germans... They were in inspection so i didn't get caught.


Erin and I went on a tour of the WWII history at Audley End house. Audley End was expected to be part of the line of attack when the Germans were going to invade Britain. The soldiers were expected to stop them before going any farther into England. Therefore many defenses were set up at and around the house. In Audley End gardens there are 5 bridges that go over the River Cam. The River would be a natural stop for tanks but the bridges would be a problem. They needed an efficient way to destroy the bridges in case the enemy came through. Next to our tour guide on the left is a well looking thing. This held the wires that would blow up all 5 bridges simultaneously if needed to stop the Germans. As you can see, they never needed to use it.


Here is a picture of the house on the other side of the River Cam with a black swan.

Our tour led us to a bunker.

These soldiers were guarding it. Inside they had replicas of what would have been originally inside the bunker. Including guns, candles, sandbags, pictures on the walls, binoculars etc. 

Back at camp we went through some of the equipment.


This guy was showing us all the stuff each soldier had to carry with him all the time. It was ALOT OF STUFF!!!

Ok I said I'd talk about the gear. All of these guys actually own this stuff. They find it and get it from companies that assist in Living History. These guys LOVE HISTORY!!! They know so much about everything and actually own their equipment including the guns, outfits, vehicles, tents to the small stuff like mess kits, shavers, grenades. They are AWESOME!!

We then learned about how to identify your enemy. This guy is German. So are the guys below. Remember it and kill them.



These were our American friends. We were learning how to put the bayonet on the gun and to defend ourselves. These new recruits learned well. Always go for the back for the back of the knee and the throat!!

We had to get a picture with the German Commander guy. It was so much fun to talk to him about being involved in Living History. He seems to do it a lot. Next year he is going to Gettysburg to portray a confederate. When I asked if he just liked being on the losing side he said he chose the confederates because they are from the south (like he is - southern England), they wear grey (which he already has) and the lose. Loved it. So if you go to Gettysburg and hear a confederate with a british accent... we met him.

This kid apparently got a head wound... his parents left him as he was on the stretcher... I laughed.



Right before the gun show. Always need a medic on hand.

At the gun show the announcer actually talked to us as if we were inspectors from 1940 wanting to see what the soldiers have learned while here at camp. It was great!


This chubby little kid was sitting near us before the show. He just looked so cute in his camo I couldn't help it.


The Germans and their weapons

The happy Polish

The Brits and Americans



I have video of all of the guns. They were AWESOME!!! Because I'm having issue with getting them up... you will just have to wait. 

I am sorry if this was a bit too nerdy for you. I had a wonderful time and would love to go back. I think it would be so much fun to be apart of a Living History.

No comments:

Post a Comment