Pages

Thursday, 13 November 2008

BYU Dating

I'm going to vent. I'm sorry, but I really want to share this. I am frustrated right now. Frustrated with a lot of things. Most of them I can not fix (so I really should let them go). First - I'm sick and tired of people being stupid. Maybe I should define "stupid".

Stupid - (adj.) Immature, unreliable, stupid, lazy, degrading, critical, judgmental, fake, two-faced (the list goes on).

I admit I am guilty of many of these things (so I would be considered a stupid person as well). I am just tired of the fake friendships people have. I'm tired of people pretending to care. I'm also tired of people not caring.

I am also disappointed in the dating and lack of friendships that are oh so prevalent in my BYU experience. Let me explain. (I just want to say that I could be very wrong about the whole thing and maybe I've just seen the not good side). Most of the guys I've met here at BYU don't want to be your friend. They don't care about you unless they are interested in you and see you as a possible dating prospect. They don't want to have much to do with you unless you 'qualify'. There is no such thing as just friends with the opposite gender. Maybe there is just something wrong with me - but I've talked to a few other girls that agree. Maybe it goes both ways. Are girls not being friends with guys because they don't want to date them? And whatever happened to going on dates to get to know people better? Now people go on dates to decide if they like them or not. Whatever happened to friend dates? Dates that are not decision making dates. Dates that you just enjoy being with a friend. Dates where both parties have fun and don't have huge expectations. What happened to going out for ice cream or hot cocoa? Why is it that the non-BYU world can go out for coffee but we can't go out for a 20 min hot cocoa without having a DTR?!?! Okay, okay - I'm ranting.

What has happened to people actually caring and acting on that feeling? Where is the concern? I wish I could tell you! If anyone knows - please let me know!

4 comments:

  1. agreed.
    refer to the general conference talk (a year ago?) that told the men to take girls out for ice cream....it's really not that hard, (and if you go to the creamery, it's $1.12 for a child's scoop...:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what the problem is with men around here. I think many of them need a wake up call and I say we give it to 'em! We should boycot dating! .... maybe... dang, why do we need men!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in high school, I would always argue with my dad when he warned me that guys didn't want to be friends with girls. I thought he was being extreme, it wasn't until college that I realized how true he is.

    ReplyDelete